Թարգմանություն - Перевод - Translation

Hi,Another question: what is a "խնուսցի"? Thanks in advance!
Inhabitant of Խնուս - a town in Western Armenia.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Երևան - երևանցիԽնուս - խնուսցիBTW, I have 1/32 of khnustsi blood :)

And also.. what's a "ծխատեր" in the religious/church sense?Also, "անդաստան", still religious/church.
ծխատեր - priest of any given parish (ծուխ in this case = "parish")անդաստան literally means "field". But in religious context? :hm:
ծխատեր - priest of any given parish (ծուխ in this case = "parish")
Thanks!
անդաստան literally means "field". But in religious context? :hm:
In my dictionary it says (within a religious context): Արտերի` ցանքսերի օրհնություն, անդաստանօրհնեք: Blessing of crops? Harvest? I'm not at all familiar with religious/Christian vocabulary.
In my dictionary it says (within a religious context): Արտերի` ցանքսերի օրհնություն, անդաստանօրհնեք: Blessing of crops? Harvest? I'm not at all familiar with religious/Christian vocabulary.
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Until today in Armenia the ritual of grape blessing is preserved and honored, it’s called խաղողօրհնեքYou are not supposed to eat grapes or make wine before the vineyards were blessed, theoretically. :)

You're welcome, anytime!What else? Your absence from the forum is becoming noticeable. :)Besides, I and others also need some practice and training with weird or forgotten Armenian words and expressions. You usually come up with outdated and out-of-use words, which is very interesting and educational – for all of us.So, anything else?

You're welcome, anytime!What else? Your absence from the forum is becoming noticeable. :)Besides, I and others also need some practice and training with weird or forgotten Armenian words and expressions. You usually come up with outdated and out-of-use words, which is very interesting and educational – for all of us.
:)
So, anything else?
Here's another one, I think: ռիզա or ռիզան Context: Նա կապում է դռան ռիզան: (he ties something to the door?) I have a feeling it's a Persian word, but I might be wrong.

Ռուսերենում կա "ռիզա" բառ, բայց թե դա ի՞նչ կապ ունի դռան հետ: :hm:

Ի՞նչ է ռուսերենով: It might make sense within the rest of the context that I have.
Among other meanings that the Russian word риза /riza/ has is: a little curtain used by Orthodox Christians to cover the images of their saints (“icons”), after the prayer.So it is possible that the word is used in the sense of “curtain”, in this case.

Hi Kars, Curtain could work. The broader context is a priest doing his thing with a woman who prostitutes herself to him at his house. The villagers find out, get angry, and tie a "razi" to his door. What other meanings does "razi" have?

Thanks! Do you have an idea about "riza"?
"ռիզա" թե՞ "ռազի"Վերջին անգամ "razi" ես գրել:
ամի, used with a name, such as "Սարո ամի". Uncle Saro?
Yes. It's still in use in some dialects.
Hi Kars, Curtain could work. The broader context is a priest doing his thing with a woman who prostitutes herself to him at his house. The villagers find out, get angry, and tie a "razi" to his door. What other meanings does "razi" have?
In general sense the word “риза” (“riza”) means “priest’s robe”. I had no idea there was a habit of tying up a misbehaving priest’s door with his own robe! :lol:
In general sense the word “риза” (“riza”) means “priest’s robe”. I had no idea there was a habit of tying up a misbehaving priest’s door with his own robe! :lol:
Neither did I. :) But this is supposed to be an Armenian priest in an Armenian village. So I'm wondering why a Russian religious word would be used instead of an Armenian one. What have "rizas" to do with the Armenian church? Unless it's something they got from the Russians in this particular region. I guess this question goes beyond linguistics into culture. But I'm interested in the deeper implications of it nevertheless.