• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"What is Ani? There are, of course, things we cannot describe however hard we try" wrote Konstantin Paustovsky after visiting Ani is now a ghost city, uninhabited for

over three centuries and marooned inside a Turkish military zone on Turkey's border with

Ani in 1923. A thousand years ago Ani was the modern Armenia. Ani's recent history has been one of continuous and always increasing

capital of an Armenian kingdom that covered much of present day Armenia and eastern Turkey. Ani had a population of at least 100,000 and its wealth and renown was such that it was known as the "City of 1001 Churches". Built on a spectacular site - a plateau encircled by destruction. Neglect, earthquakes, cultural cleansing, vandalism, quarrying, amateurish restorations and excavations - all these and more have taken

a heavy toll on Ani's monuments. Yet still

Ani survives. Enter

VirtualANI for a tour

of the ruins, plus an exploration of some of

deep ravines - Ani's many churches,

palaces, and fortifications were amongst the most technically and artistically advanced structures in the world at that period. the medieval Armenian churches,

monasteries, and castles that are located elsewhere within Turkey. Click inside the

entrance of the city gateway to enter.

entrance2.gif

http://www.virtualani.org/citymap.htm :)

Oquz - thank you, i know this all . I know almost everything about and regarding my name . For me it's the route of my name, historical and traditional meanings of my name. Its so interesting, there are lots of events . :flower: So sad seeing this pictures. One day i promise. i ll be there, and step by around this churches . Amazing .... This is the beauthy of nature and humanity . Now it's a kind of ground, surrounded by a kind of desert ... Don't put sad, mad or connfused smiles at the bottom of this pictures. We r proud of our teritories. We ll get them back . We ll be happy and we ll build the new ones. Nobody s gonna be artistic sad , after .... . :) However , let's continue attaching panoramic images. :)