how to send fake e-mails

Guest cr3ckz

1) Introduction

2) SMTP & How it works

3) Commands & Explenation

3) Connecting & Sending our fake email

1) Introduction

We are going to use Telnet to connect to a SMTP server, and we are going to type in some commands

to create our fake email. You can send your email to any email address, and the best of all, you

can pretend you are someone else. Like if that's not enough, it is also very easy to do.

Lets start with the tutorial.

2) SMTP & How it works

What is SMTP, you ask. SMTP stands for 'Simple Mail Transfer Protocol'. It's a protocol, that can

send email, just like the name says. Port 25 is the standart port for the simple mail transfer protocol.

Here's a short list of some SMTP servers you can try to use for this 'trick':

http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtpservers.html

(I'm not sure of they all work, i dont test them)

If you send an email from your (for example) hotmail account, hotmail connects to their SMTP server

and hotmail will tell the SMTP server where the email needs to be going, and who's it from. Then it

tells the server the data (your message), and after that, its ready to be on its way.

Most smtp servers can't be "tricked" this way anymore, many smtp servers use some sort of

protection against email spamming.

If you cant find any good servers to test this on, you could scan an IP range on port 25, and check the

banners for smtp servers, and you could try one.

I'll tell more about how you can notice when the trick doesn't work later.

These are the commands we will be using in this tutorial:

1 ] "Helo mail.server.com"

2 ] "mail from: [email protected]"

3 ] "rcpt to: [email protected]"

4 ] "data"

5 ] "."

Explenation of these commands:

1 ] This is little hi to the server, letting it know we want to send an email.

2 ] I think this one is pretty obviously, this is where you type YOUR email address,

fake/real doesn't matter.

3 ] This would be the email of the person who will receive your fake email.

4 ] With "data", you let the server know that you want to write your message. Everything you

type after data will be your message to the receiver.

5 ] With a dot (on a new line), you let the server know the email is finished, and the

server will send it.

4) Connecting & Sending our fake email

Open up command prompt, and connect to the smtp server. You can do this by typing:

Telnet smtp.server.com 25

It should now display a banner. To start, first say "helo bla", and it should respond with

what version the smtp server is and/or with "220 helo yourip" or something like that.

Now specify your (fake) email address by typing:

mail from: [email protected]

If done right, it should say "250 Sender [[email protected]] OK"

Now you can specify where your email should be going, you can do this by typing:

rcpt to: [email protected]

Now most of the time, the server does NOT allow "relaying", meaning you can only email from that

server if you are a trusted user. You are obviously not, and you should try to find another smpt server.

If this does work, continue.

Type "data" to start typing your email message.

When you are done with typing, you can let the server know your email is ready by pressing enter

(going to a new line) and press dot (.).

It should now say that the email is being sent or is going to be.

Congratulations, you have just sent an "anonymous" email. Actually its not anonymous at all, because

your IP address will be in the header of the fake email. Some people dont even know how they can view

the IP address of the sender, and probably dont even care. I'm just trying to say here that you should

be carefull. Most people will look at the IP of an email (If they know how) IF they dont trust the email.

So just make it look real.

• 7 months later...

1) Introduction

2) SMTP & How it works

3) Connecting & Sending our fake email

1) Introduction

We are going to use Telnet to connect to a SMTP server, and we are going to type in some commands

to create our fake email. You can send your email to any email address, and the best of all, you

can pretend you are someone else. Like if that's not enough, it is also very easy to do.

Lets start with the tutorial.

2) SMTP & How it works

What is SMTP, you ask. SMTP stands for 'Simple Mail Transfer Protocol'. It's a protocol, that can

send email, just like the name says. Port 25 is the standart port for the simple mail transfer protocol.

Here's a short list of some SMTP servers you can try to use for this 'trick':

http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtpservers.html

(I'm not sure of they all work, i dont test them)

If you send an email from your (for example) hotmail account, hotmail connects to their SMTP server

and hotmail will tell the SMTP server where the email needs to be going, and who's it from. Then it

tells the server the data (your message), and after that, its ready to be on its way.

Most smtp servers can't be "tricked" this way anymore, many smtp servers use some sort of

protection against email spamming.

If you cant find any good servers to test this on, you could scan an IP range on port 25, and check the

banners for smtp servers, and you could try one.

I'll tell more about how you can notice when the trick doesn't work later.

These are the commands we will be using in this tutorial:

1 ] "Helo mail.server.com"

2 ] "mail from: [email protected]"

3 ] "rcpt to: [email protected]"

4 ] "data"

5 ] "."

Explenation of these commands:

1 ] This is little hi to the server, letting it know we want to send an email.

2 ] I think this one is pretty obviously, this is where you type YOUR email address,

fake/real doesn't matter.

3 ] This would be the email of the person who will receive your fake email.

4 ] With "data", you let the server know that you want to write your message. Everything you

type after data will be your message to the receiver.

5 ] With a dot (on a new line), you let the server know the email is finished, and the

server will send it.

4) Connecting & Sending our fake email

Open up command prompt, and connect to the smtp server. You can do this by typing:

Telnet smtp.server.com 25

It should now display a banner. To start, first say "helo bla", and it should respond with

what version the smtp server is and/or with "220 helo yourip" or something like that.

Now specify your (fake) email address by typing:

mail from: [email protected]

If done right, it should say "250 Sender [[email protected]] OK"

Now you can specify where your email should be going, you can do this by typing:

rcpt to: [email protected]

Now most of the time, the server does NOT allow "relaying", meaning you can only email from that

server if you are a trusted user. You are obviously not, and you should try to find another smpt server.

If this does work, continue.

Type "data" to start typing your email message.

When you are done with typing, you can let the server know your email is ready by pressing enter

(going to a new line) and press dot (.).

It should now say that the email is being sent or is going to be.

Congratulations, you have just sent an "anonymous" email. Actually its not anonymous at all, because

your IP address will be in the header of the fake email. Some people dont even know how they can view

the IP address of the sender, and probably dont even care. I'm just trying to say here that you should

be carefull. Most people will look at the IP of an email (If they know how) IF they dont trust the email.

So just make it look real.

well thanx for the tute but i'm not getting logged in to any server so tell me how to scan IP range o 25 and also i'd wish to know how can i see email ips

thanx in advance