What is intelligence?

Who is considered to be intelligent? How would you go about testing it? Do IQ tests in fact measure person’s intelligence? Does it have enough internal validity to prove one's present mental capacity?

(yete petq e karogh em hayeren el targmanem) :D

Edited by Yesenya
Intelligent is someone who has at least enough knowledge on any type of subject to carry casual conversation.

Oki TS. I agree with you ;) But than again what about a two-year-old who has the mental age of a four-year-old? Is he considered to be intelligent, when he can not converse properly, and has difficulty expressing himself? Another one would be a one-month old baby who has advanced motor coordination skills? Or another one would be a child with Down’s syndrome who can multiply large numbers in his head, is he considered intelligent, since he can not express his thoughts and feeling like normal individuals? Or a bird that is able to remember the location of hundreds and thousands of seeds scattered around a forest? Huh TS? :D :girlkiss: :p

Edited by Yesenya

Intelligent person is able to learn , understand, accept or reject new ideas, capable to interpret and analyze conceptual issues in certain field of linguistics ,natural, social sciences and etc. Someone who can apply and realize his/her knowledge in real life in order to gain some profit for himself/herself, for whole country or humanity in total.

Also intelligence is like a talent, someone couldbe born with it :).

We can consider Newton, Einstein, Aristotle and Saharov as intelligent people. But also we cannot forget that someone like be extremely smart :smart: in one field and totally ignorant in other.:doh:

I told you what is intelligence.

Intelligence is gained over the years of experience and not by birth, period.

What you are describing is genious baby who has more chance to be intelligent.

So basically you're saying that when people are born, they are not intelligent, like Aristotle who believed "The mind is a clean tablet upon which experience writes"? So children are never intelligent because they do not have enough experience?? How much is enough? What is the endpoint?

Intelligent person is able to learn , understand, accept or reject new ideas, capable to interpret and analyze conceptual issues in certain field of linguistics ,natural, social sciences and etc. Someone who can apply and realize his/her knowledge in real life in order to gain some profit for himself/herself, for whole country or humanity in total.

Also intelligence is like a talent, someone couldbe born with it :).

We can consider Newton, Einstein, Aristotle and Saharov as intelligent people. But also we cannot forget that someone like be extremely smart :smart: in one field and totally ignorant in other.:doh:

Diana jan, but again we conclude that someone is intelligent or should I say “smart” when they perform a task that is extraordinary, difficult to solve. On another hand when you said Einstein can be considered to be intelligent, he actually had schizophrenia. Our society labels this sort of people as feeble minded, because they are not capable of taking care of themselves properly, nor perform everyday tasks, but at the same time Einstein was able to come up with some important theories. So is he intelligent just because he is advanced in one area, but has difficulty performing tasks that every other normal person would be able to carry out? Another example would be Tchaikovsky who had bipolar depression, and most of his writings were accomplished during the manic phase of depression. So basically he came up with all these wonderful compositions when in fact he was ill and needed psychological help. When you say intelligence is a talent… so when we are born, what will predict that we will be intelligent or not?? :cry: Is there some kind of gene that is needed to accomplish this task? What is extremely smart? :blush: A person who has advanced knowledge in Physics or a person who has superior dancing abilities? :o

So basically you're saying that when people are born, they are not intelligent, like Aristotle who believed "The mind is a clean tablet upon which experience writes"? So children are never intelligent because they do not have enough experience?? How much is enough? What is the endpoint?

So basically you're saying that when people are born, they are not intelligent, like Aristotle who believed "The mind is a clean tablet upon which experience writes"?

Right.

So children are never intelligent because they do not have enough experience?? How much is enough? What is the endpoint?

"Everything is relative"

There is a threshold for person's intelligent which gets decided by the whole population or population of particular area.

Ts133T you're an empericist, believeing we learn everything from experience, but than again people are born with a predisposition to learn language, so I think some portion of our intelligence comes via genes. If it wasn't the fact, than evalutionary people would not chose intelligent mates, so their offsprings would have more adventage(survival of the fittest):):) there's no evidence yet, but I believe both genes and the enviorment play a role in shaping human beings. Haykakan mi hat asatsvatsq ka, chem hishe lav, tsari ptugh@ heru chi @nkni de inch, de nuynn e estegh :D :D :D

Pay attention to the text.

"What you are describing is genious baby who has more chance to be intelligent."

Which means a newborn has more chance to become intelligent because with right genes and environment he has better probability to learn quickly and get broad knowledge.

Genes - algorithm to develop mentally.

Environment - actions to help develop mentally.

Edited by TS133T
Pay attention to the text.

"What you are describing is genious baby who has more chance to be intelligent."

Which means a newborn has more chance to become intelligent because with right genes and environment he has better probability to learn quickly and get broad knowledge.

Genes - algorithm to develop mentally.

Environment - actions to help develop mentally.

ahaa chisht es:):)

What happens when twins reared in the same environment, have the same genetic make up, but are so different mentally? Maybe personality plays a role as well? Voroshel em PhD or gnatsi es gortsov zbaghvim :D :D :lol: ;)

Ognakans keghnis?:)

What happens when twins reared in the same environment, have the same genetic make up, but are so different mentally? Maybe personality plays a role as well?

You answered yourself the Genes and Environment are not the answer.

The human brain is very chaotic machine to work in predefined manner, thus the brains processed "environment actions" result input into "Genes algorithm" can be very different, especially since the "algorithm" goes through changes during life time because of those inputs.

Voroshel em PhD or gnatsi es gortsov zbaghvim    

Ognakans keghnis?

Harts chka, bayts aveli lave ertas "genetic science" gtsov.

http://gslc.genetics.utah.edu/units/basics/

Edited by TS133T
Diana jan, but again we conclude that someone is intelligent or should I say “smart” when they perform a task that is extraordinary, difficult to solve. On another hand when you said Einstein can be considered to be intelligent, he actually had schizophrenia. Our society labels this sort of people as feeble minded, because they are not capable of taking care of themselves properly, nor perform everyday tasks, but at the same time Einstein was able to come up with some important theories. So is he intelligent just because he is advanced in one area, but has difficulty performing tasks that every other normal person would be able to carry out? Another example would be Tchaikovsky who had bipolar depression, and most of his writings were accomplished during the manic phase of depression. So basically he came up with all these wonderful compositions when in fact he was ill and needed psychological help. When you say intelligence is a talent… so when we are born, what will predict that we will be intelligent or not?? :cry:  Is there some kind of gene that is needed to accomplish this task? What is extremely smart? :blush:  A person who has advanced knowledge in Physics or a person who has superior dancing abilities? :o

Yesenia , I thought you wanted to hear other people opinion on that topic, so that’s what I did I expressed my opinion , what I think about your question. Now I have a feeling that you trying to make us think differently or something like that. :hm:

Being ill and being intelligent is totally different things, one does not exclude the other. Also I think I said that someone can be smart in one field and not so smart in other. Try to read my post once more. :/

Edited by Diana-
Yesenia , I thought you wanted to hear other people opinion on that topic, so that’s what I did I expressed my opinion , what I think about your question. Now I have a feeling that you trying to make us think differently or something like that. :hm:

Being ill and being intelligent is totally different things, one does not exclude the other. Also I think I said that someone can be smart in one field and not so smart in other. Try to read my post once more. :/

Hello Diana jan,

I am not sure what made you think that I am trying to change people’s beliefs, because I am not, and I would never try to do that ;) ;)

I was just curiouse to what you said, and gave you some examples, but if you were offended by my answer in any way, I am sorry :) :) Well for the second part of your answer, I meant something else, Diana jan, I did read your post very craefully, and what I meant was totally different. But since you think I am inforcing you to accept my beliefs by contriditing your ideas, than it is the best for me not to give anymore counterarguements. Well but thank you for contributing to my discussion, your ideas were great :up:

Nor Tarid yev Surb Tsnundt el shnorhavor :)