this and

Guest arabaliozian

Guest arabaliozian
FROM JULES RENARD’S JOURNAL 1887-1910 (Paris, 1965, 1428 pages)**********************************Every morning on waking up you should say: "I can see. I can hear. I can move. I don't suffer. Thank you! Life is beautiful."*A man could say: "I will never make a fortune because it is not in my character to be rich."*Bernstein to Forain:"But your Jesus Christ was a Jew.""Only out of humility," Forain replies.*A non-believer could be a wonderfully honest man.*I give the impression of being well-adjusted; and yet, I have hardly realized any of my plans.Tuesday, September 03, 2002********************************There is nothing new under the sun. Everything we experience has been experienced before, many times: not only experienced but also described and analyzed. In Thomas Mann’s STORY OF A NOVEL, I read the following passage: "My son-in-law Borgese is wont to speak of Vitamin P, that is, praise. And it is true that this drug can have a tonic and reviving effect, and even to a skeptical turn of mind can at least provide amusement. We all bear wounds, praise is a soothing if not necessarily healing balm for them. Nevertheless, if I may judge by my own experience, our receptivity for praise stands in no relationship to our vulnerability to mean disdain and spiteful abuse. No matter how stupid such abuse is, no matter how plainly impelled by private rancors, as an expression of hostility it occupies us far more deeply and lastingly than the opposite. Which is very foolish, since enemies are, of course, the necessary concomitant of any robust life, the very proof of its strength. On the other hand, praise is a food that swiftly satiates, swiftly excites repugnance; the erecting of inner defenses against it is soon completed, and probably it would be best therefore if we heard neither good nor evil concerning our affairs. But, alas, that too is not possible for one whose life influences the outside world and affects the minds of others in various ways…."MEMO TO A YOUNG ARMENIAN WRITER******************************************What to do if a reader insults you? If you insult him back he will hate you. If you ignore him he will hate you even more. And if you reason with him and expose him as a fool you will make an enemy for life. One of our problems is that we have been brainwashed to believe we are just about the smartest people on earth. As a result, even our certified morons parade as if they were men of genius with leadership qualities. Nowhere is this as evident as in our discussion forums. My answer to your question is therefore: Get used to the idea that if you speak the truth our liars will conspire against you, our fools will hound you, and you will never run out of stimulation.____
  • 3 years later...