Проблемсы с английским...

Ну, а если серьезно, то все нижлеследующие варианты абсолютно приемлимы в стандартном английском, и не считаются ошибками ("у них есть книга?"):

1. Have they a book?

2. Do they have a book?

Разница в следующем:

1. классический английский

2. явный американизм

И Вы тоже? :( In standard English the formation of general questions needs to be done with the help of auxilliary verbs. In this case it's the auxilliary verb do. Hn, che? :ermm:

И Вы тоже? :( In standard English the formation of general questions needs to be done with the help of auxilliary verbs. In this case it's the auxilliary verb do. Hn, che? :ermm:

You’re just too Americanised, smally jan – beyond repair. :)

I must disagree with you here. British English does not use auxiliary verbs in interrogative sentences, such as: ”Do you have a book?” Proper (standard) English form is (and should be): ”Have you a book?This is classic English.

Fortunately, I saved my university textbooks and I will (in a minute) scan a page to show this particular disagreement between American and British English. The textbook is in Russian, therefore – more illustrative in this particular theme (since most participants are Russian-speakers, in this topic). It’s much easier for me to scan it here than to retype the entire section of the page.

Agree :yes:

But they are Brits - what did you expect? :)

I guess I'm just too overloaded with all my Linguistics stuff. :( See, even now, I can't sit down and study normally because there are so many things to do that I get lost. Somebody tell me, Liliyaaa, the exam is just two months away.

сегодня мне объяснили что поскольку have opportunities это типа set-phrase и have здесь может переводиться не только как "иметь" то нужно начинать вопрос с Do :) сравните с to have chance.. как-то так.. :hm:

:clap: ура! а как результаты? Вы сдали работу? ну интересно же :rolleyes:

Извините за опаздание...

Сдал. Ни одной ошибки. Англичанку не смутили американизмы. Как раз на днях собрание было - лишний раз похвалили. :jump:

Спасибо всем за участие :victory:

• 1 year later...

Пора оживить эту тему. Проблемы с английским? Обращайтесь сюда.