Armenian Lessons

Transliteration & Punctuation In Armenian

Hayastani Hanrapetut'yan Lezvi Petakan Tesch'ut'yan Hayereni Bardzraguyn Khorhrdi Oroshume" Hayereni Granshanneri Havak'atsui Masin Hayereni bolor gravor tarberaknern artahaytogh granshanneri havak'atsu sahmanelu npatakov Hayastani Hanrapetut'yan Lezvi Petakan Tesch'ut'yan Hayereni Bardzraguyn Khorhurde" oroshum e'`

• Himk' e"ndunel mesropyan aybubene"` e"st avandut'i ayn miazhamanak o'gtagortselov t'vayin arzhek'ner artahaytelu hamar:
  • Zhamanakakits' grakan lezvi arevelahay ev arevmtahay tarberakneri, inch'pes naev mijin hayereni grut'yan gortsogh hamakargeri ar'andzahatkut'yunnern artahaytelu hamar pahpanel hetmesropyan shrjanum e"ndunvats u, o', f, ev [ligature] tar'ere" ev nerkayums hayeren tek'sterum kirar'vogh ketadrakan nshannere":
  • Hastatel hayereni granshanneri havak'atsui hetevyal aghyusake".

A K R

B H S

G D V

D Gh T

E Ch R

Z M Ts

E' Y W

E" N P'

T' Sh K'

Zh O Ev [ligature]

I Ch' O'

L P F

Kh J U [i.e., ow]

Ts

Ketadrakan Nshanner

. mijaket

, storaket

: verjaket

` but'

shesht [not on my keyboard]

paruyk/harts'akan nshan [not on my keyboard]

erkar/bats'akanch'akan nshan [not on my keyboard]

- miut'yan gtsik

__ anjatman gits

ent'amna / toghadardzi nshan [not on my keyboard]

' apat'arts'

... kakhman keter

.... bazmaket

( dzakh kor p'akagits

) aj kor p'akagits

[ dzakh ughigh p'akagits

] aj ughigh p'akagits

{ dzakh dzevavor p'akagits

} aj dzevavor p'akagits

Tsanot'.

• Arevelahay bar'arannere" kazmelis u-n zeteghel w-i teghum:
  • ev-e" gortsatselu depk'um ayn teghadrel e"st aybubeni sovorakan kargi, aysink'n` ev kapakts'ut'yan p'okharen:

HH Lezvi Petakan Tesch'ut'yan Hayereni Bardzraguyn Khorhurd

*Hastatvats e' HH lezvi petakan tesch'ut'yan peti 1996 t'. hoktemberi 9-I hramanov:

Edited by hravart

Lesson one

Առաջին դաս

The Armenian alphabet has 38 letters composed of vowels and consonants.

By definition a vowel keeps its sound when kept in continuous mode e.g., the first letter of the alphabet Ա, ա which when pronounced and kept in perpetual pronunciation mode will sound [a:].as the letter "a" in "ask" when the latter is pronounced in British English.

In the standard British English used by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) the phonetic symbols are placed in square brackets which are also used as the international phonetic symbols. My typewriter will not allow me to use the standard phonetic symbols and the phonetic symbols used in American dictionaries are not the best ones to use, therefore I will use a combination of phonetic symbols to illustrate the correct pronunciation of the Armenian words as much as possible especially in the case of explosive consonants lost in the Western Armenian vernacular.

A consonant by definition is a letter that when pronounced and its sound kept gives the sound [e"]; For ease of understanding regarding the symbol [e"] consider pronouncing the definite article "the" in English when it appears before a word starting with a consonant, and keep the sound going, you will only hear {e"], I will elaborate on this subject later. When the definite article in English appears before a words starting with vowels e.g., the aeroplane (airplane US) the sound continues as [i:] as in the pronunciation of the word "seat", "beat", etc.

As to the Armenian grammar, in each lesson some grammatical point will be mentioned. For your information the parts of speech in Armenian grammar is the same as in English and other languages and are as follows:

Noun անուն [anun]

Adjective ածական [atsakan]

Pronoun դերանուն [deranun]

Verb բայ [bay]

Adverb մակբայ [makbay]

The last three will be mentioned later.

In eastern Armenian the letters of the alphabet are taught by their sounds and not by their names which is the method of teaching in western Armenian. The reason that in western Armenian the children are taught the names of the letters is the inability of the westerners to pronounce certain letters properly, e.g. the words «գայլ» meaning "wolf" and «քայլ» meaning "step" is pronounced the same way in western Armenian, since the explosive consonant «Գ» which should be pronounced "g" as in "girl" is pronounced [k'] as in "cat" and therein lies the difficulty of teaching the youngster and for which the only solution is to spell the word by using the names of the letters. I hope that in due time we will be able to eradicate this deficiency and adhere to the correct pronunciation as is the case in eastern vernacular and which is the standard language of the homeland.

Using the Armenian Translieteration Symbols the following words with their English equivalents In the right column can be pronounced easily.

The transliteration symbols are placed in square brackets, next to the Armenian words. Please refier to these symbols which were previously introduced in table fashion:

Ասա [asa] Say (Imperative mood)

Դաս [das] Lesson

Սա [sa] This

Դա [da] That

Սար [sar] Mountain

Մատ [mat] Finger

Ծառ [tsar] Tree

Շատ [shat] Many, also very

Լավ [lav] Good

Գնա [gna] He or she

Ես [es] I

Մատներ [matner] Fingers

Սարեր [sarer] Mountains

Նավեր [naver] Ships

Դասեր [daser] Lessons

Please note that the suffix «եր» pronounced [er] is used to form the plural of the noun. The reason «մատ» became «մատներ»and not «մատեր» is because the finger originally was «մատն» and over time the «ն» was dropped from the singular but when plural is formed the «ն» is returned.

In this lesson there are 14 letters of which 3 are vowels and eleven consonants.

The vowels

Ա, ա Ե, ե Է, է

The consonants

Ս,ս Շ,շ Մ,մ Լ,լ Վ,վ Ր,ր Ռ,ռ Ն,ն

The explosive consonants

Դ,դ Տ,տ Ծ,ծ

Ասա դաս [asa das] Say lesson

Ասա սար [asa sar] Say mountain

Սա մատ է [sa mat e'] This is a finger]

Դա նավ է [da nav e'] That is a ship

Սա լավ է [sa lav e'] This is good

Դա շատ լավ է [da shat lav e'] That is very good

Ես լավ եմ [es lav e'm] I am well

End of the first lesson

Edited by hravart

TRANSLITERATION SYMBOLS' TABLE

ՀԱՅԵՐԵՆԻ ԳՐԱՆՇԱՆՆԵՐԻ ԱՂՅՈՒՍԱԿԸ[/center]

Ա, ա a Ծ, ծ ts Ջ, ջ j

Բ, բ b Կ, կ k Ռ, ռ r'

Գ, գ g Հ, հ h Ս, ս s

Դ, դ d Ձ, ձ dz Վ, վ v

Ե, ե e Ղ ղ gh Տ, տ t

Զ, զ z Ճ, ճ ch Ր, ր r

Է, է e' Մ, մ m Ց, ց ts'

Ը, ը e" Յ, յ y Ի, ւ v

Թ, թ t' Ն, ն n Փ, փ p'

Ժ, ժ zh Շ, շ sh Ք, ք k'

Ի, ի I Ո, ո o' Եւ (կցիկ) ev (ligarure)

Լ, լ l Չ, չ ch' Օ, օ o'

Խ, խ kh Պ, պ p Ֆ, ֆ f

The symbols appear in lower case to abide by the international phonetic standard.

When the symbols are used they will be placed in square brackets

The symbols e, e', e" represent «ե», «Է» and «ը» as they appear in the Armenian Alphabet Sequence hence the addition of single and double quotation marks after the letter <e> to correspond with that succession.

The same holds true for the other letters, viz., <k> for ««Կ, կ»; <k'> for «Ք, ք» which appears later in the alphabetical sequence. The other symbols that follow the same concept are:

<t'> for «Թ, թ», this being an exception since «Թ, թ» in the alphabet precedes «Տ, տ».

<ch> for «Ճ, ճ» and <ch'> for «Չ, չ»

<ts> for «Ծ, ծ» and <ts'> for «Ց, ց»

The letters in orange are the vowels.

The letters in green are the explosive consonants.

In Western Armenian the explosive consonants are not pronounced correctly.

Edited by hravart

Lesson Two

Երկրորդ դաս

[Erkro'rd das]

So far we have learned 14 of the 38 Armenian alphabet letters in the following manner:

Vowels Ա, ա Ե, ե Է, է

Consonants Ս,ս Շ,շ Մ,մ Լ,լ Վ,վ Ր,ր Ռ,ռ Ն,ն

Explosive consonants Դ,դ Տ,տ Ծ,ծ

Ուլ [ul] kid

Լալ [lal] to cry

նալ [ge"nal] to go

Գալ [gal] to come

Սուս [sus] hush

Ուղտ [ught] camel

Թուղթ [t'ught'] paper

Ուս [us] shoulder

Ռուս [r'us] Russian

Սեվ [sev] black

Սար [sar] mountain

Սուր [sur] sharp

Սուր [sur] sword

Լուր [lur] News

Լուրեր [lurer] News

Ուր [ur] Where

Լար [lar] String

Սալ [sal] Anvil

Արուս [arus] Feminine name

Լալա [lala] Feminine name

Էշ [e'sh] Donkey «The female ass»*

* In the US the "ass" is used as a part of the human anatomy in a derogatory manner therefore the addition of "jack" qualifier to distinguish the animal from the anatomical part. The donkey on the other hand is seldom used in the US and instead we see we encounter the word "Jeannie Ass". The British English by pronouncing the ass in two different ways does not need any qualifier for distinctiveness.

Now let us construct some simple sentences:

Լալա սուս: Lala hush.

[lala sus]

Լալա գնա նստիր: Լala go sit down.

[lala ge"na ne"stir]

Իմ ուսը ցավում է: My shoulder is hurting.

[im use" ts'avum e"]

Սա ուլ է This is a kid «the animal»

[sa ul e']

Աննա սա Արան է: Anna this is Ara.

[Anna this is Ara]

Արմեն սա Արուսն է: Armen this is Arus.

[Armen sa Aruse"n e']

Բարեւ Արա ի՞նչպես ես: Hello Ara, how are you?

[barev Ara inch'pe's e's]

Լաւ եմ Արա, դու ինչպե՞ս ես: I am well Ara, how are you?

[lav em Ara, du inch'pe's e's]

Նունէ սա սար է Nune' this is a mountain.

[Nune' sa sar e']

Անուշ սա մի սուր է: Anush this is a sword.

[Anush sa mi sur e"]

Աննա սա սուր է: Anush this is sharp.

[Anna sa sur e']

The last two sentences although the same have different connotations which can be understood from the context.

In this lesson we learned the letters ու, գ, ղ, the subjective pronoun «ես» "I", the possessive adjective «իմ» "My" and some simple sentences. We also learned two of the punctuation marks in Armenian i.e., the «:» "." and the «՞» "?" . The question mark in Armenian is placed on the last syllable's vowel. Since you already know enough letters in Armenian the word for syllable in Armenian is a simple one and it is called «Վանկ» [vank].

End of lesson #2

Edited by hravart

Lesson Three

Երրորդ դաս

[errord das]

The Armenian Alphabet is as follows:

Ա,ա Բ,բ Գ,գ Դ,դ Ե,ե Զ,զ Է,է Ը,ը Թ,թ Ժ,ժ Ի,ի Լ,լ

[a] [g] [d] [e] [z] [e'] [e"] [t'] [zh] [ i ] [ l ]

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Խ,խ Ծ,ծ Կ,կ Հ,հ Ձ,ձ Ղ,ղ Ճ,ճ Մ,մ Յ,յ* Ն,ն Շ,շ Ո,ո

[kh] [ts] [k] [h] [dz] [gh] [ch] [m] [hi]* [n] [sh] [o]

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Չ,չ Պ,պ Ջ,ջ Ռ,ռ Ս,ս Վ,վ Տ,տ Ր,ր Ց,ց Ւ,ւ** Փ,փ Ք,Ք

[ch'] [p] [ j ] [r'] [v] [t] [r] [ts] [v]** [p' ] [k']

25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Օ,օ Ֆ,ֆ

[o'] [ f ]

37 38

The letter marked with asterisk (*), the «Յ, յ» in the new orthography is used only to form diphthongs as follows:

«յա», «յե», «յի», «յո», «ույ», «ոյ» [ya] [ye] [yi] [yo] [uy] [oy]

Example of diphthongs(union of two vowels) in English are:

"ai", "ei", "oi", "ya", "ye".

**The letter «Ւ, ւ» in the new orthography is only used as part of the letter «ու».

The letter «Ւ,ւ», however is used by Iranian Armenians in the middle of the words where the "v" sound is needed. In Western Armenian the «ու» letter is used where the "v" sound is needed. As one can see these different substitutions under the guise of keeping the Classic Armenian (Grabar) had created confusion which was eventually eliminated by the adoption of the new orthography championed by Manook Abeghian.

The new orthography put an end to this confusion by using the letter «վ» whenever the "v" sound is needed. The letter «Ւ,ւ», however, is important to those who are interested in studying the classic Armenian or «Grabar». In this lesson we will learn some more of the letters in the alphabet through the use of simple words.

In Lesson #1 the following

Vowels: Ա, ա Ե, ե Է, է

Consonants Լ,լ Մ,մ Ն,ն Շ,շ Ռ,ռ Ս,ս Վ,վ Ր,ր

Explosive Consonants: Դ,դ Տ,տ Ծ,ծ

In lesson # 2 we learned:

Vowels Ու, ու

Consonants Դ,ղ

Explosive Consonant Տ, s, Գ,գ

The aim of these lessons is to introduce the correct pronunciation of the Armenian letters and to facilitate the learning of the language. To achieve this goal, it is, therefore, important to discuss Syllabification or Syllabication, a point which is not emphasized in American schools, hence the difficulty in pronouncing the foreign names for most Americans. I am sure that most of you at least on one occasion, have been asked to repeat the spelling of your name despite the clear pronounciation of it, which is frustrating to say the least. The words learned so far have mostly been monosyllabic but they can be polysyllabic (more than two) in Armenian. In English the words are classified as mono-, di-, and finally poly-syllabic which refer to words with one syllable, two syllables three syllables and finally more than three syllables.

A syllable «վանկ» [vank] in Armenian is defined as a unit of spoken language consisting of a single uninterrupted sound formed by a vowel, a vowel and a consonant or consonants.

To syllabify «վանկել» [vankel] one should only count the number of times that one has to open and close one's mouth to pronounce a word, which will then represent the number of syllables in the word, e.g., "cumbersome" has three syllables which in syllabified form appears as cum-ber-some. When syllabifying the syllables are separated from each other by a hyphen.

A syllable always requires a vowel without which a syllable cannot be formed. When an Armenian word has two consonants following each other at syllabification time the letter «ը» is inserted between the two consonants. The letters to be used are categorized as follows:

Consonats «Զ, զ», «Խ, խ»

Explosive Consonants «Կ, կ» «Ձ, ձ»

Diphthong «ույ»

Զանգ [zang] Bell

Զան-գա-կա-տուն [zan-ga-ka- tun] Belfry, bell tower

Զան-գա-հա-րել [zan-ga-ha-rel] To ring

Զամ-բյուղ [zam-byugh] Basket

Զըմ-րուխտ* [zem-rukht] Emerald

*The word [zemrukht] is wiitten as «զմրուխտ» without an «ը» between the first two consonants and as mentioned previously at the time of syllabilization the letter «ը» is placed between the two consonants.

Զգեստ (ըգ-եստ) [e"z-gesհ] Dress

Զգույշ (ըզ-գույշ) [e"z-guysh] Careful

Զգալ (ըզ-գալ) [e"z-gal] to feel

Զսպել (զըս-պել) [ze"s-pel] to restrain

Most words starting with the letter «Զ» are pronounced as if they have an «ը» in the beginning, this also holds true for the words starting with the letter «Ս», eg, «Ստեփան» pronounced [e"s-te-p'an]

Here are some more words using the letters that we have learned.

Կարապ [karap] Swan

Կատու [katu] Cat

Կաղ [kagh] Lame

Կարաս [կարաս] Jar

To conclude this lesson here is a word that I had mentioned it previously and that is «Գետնախնձոր»þ for "Potato" (-es for plural). In the first volume of Stepan Malkhasiants' 4 volume set Armenian Dictionary, the most authoritative source, we encounter the word «գետնախնձոր»» and not «Կարտոֆիլ» its Russian equivalent. The use of the word «Կարտֆիլ» should be abandoned and the correct Armenian word substituted in all the textbooks. The same should be done for the word "Banana", which should be replaced with its armenian equivalent, i.e., «Ադամաթուզ».

Գետնախնձոր is composed of two words «գետին» + «խնձոր» and when made one the letter«ի» in «գետին» is dropped and the conjunction «ա» is placed between the two words, i.e., «գետին» becomes «գետն», and when «ա» is added at the end, new form «գետնա» is emerged and when this is combined with «Խնձոր» we get the word:ԳԵՏՆԱԽՆՁՈՐ which is syllabified as follows:

«գետ-նա-խըն-ձոր» = Potato

NOT

«Կարտոֆիլ»

In Malkhasiants' dictionary (Vol. 1) the south American plant (Solanum tuberosum) is mentioned as the source for Potato" which is widely cultivated for its starchy, edible tubers.

End of lesson #3

Edited by hravart
  • 1 month later...

Lesson Four

Չորրորդ դաս

[chorrord das]

In this lesson we will learn some easy conversational topics.

For help in pronunciation use your transliteration symbols.

Ողջունում Greeting

[voghjunum]

Բարեվել to greet

[bare’ve’l]

ԲարեՎ Hello

[bare’v]

Ինչպես How

Ինչպես ես [inch’pes][e’s] How are you

ես Are (2nd p.sing. of to be)

Ինչպես եք How are you (2nd p. pl. of tto be)

The verb to be belongs to the “Anomalous Finite” group which are as follows;

1. to be (am, are, is, was, were)

2. to do (does, did)

3. to have (has, had)

4. shall, should

5. will, would

6. can, could

7. may, might

8. must

9. ought

10. need

11. dare

12. used to

The conjugation of the verb “to be” in English & Armenian:

“to be”

Singula Plural

I am We are

You are You are

He, she, it is They are

Լինել [linel]

եզակի [yezaki] Հոգնակի [hognaki]

Ես եմ [es em] Մենք ենք [menk enk]

Դու ես [du es] Դուք եք [duk’ e’ k’]

Նա է [na e’] Նրանք են[ne”rank’ en]

From Hamlet’s soliloquy To be or not to be

Համլետի Մենախոսությունից Լինել թե չլինել

[hamleti menakhosutyunits] linel t’e’’ ch’e”linel]

Bonus Word

"Soliloquy" «Մե-նա-խո-սու-թյուն»

Մենախոսություն Մենակ + խոսել

Alone) + (speak)

Latin (Solus) + (Loqui)

Բարեւ, ինչպե՞ս ես Hello, how are you? (sing.)

Բարեւ, Ինչպե՞ս եք Hello, how are you? (pl. respectful)

Լավ եմ, դո°ւ ինչպե՞ս ես: I am fine, and you?

Լաւ եմ, դուք ինչպե՞ս եք I am fine, and how are you (respectful)

Ոչինչ: [ochinch’] Nothing

(From Russian, used only in Armenia?)

լույս [luys] Light

Բարի [bari] Good

Բարի լույս [bari luys] Good morning.

երեկո [yereko] Evening

Բարի երեկո [bari yereko] Good evening

Ցտեսութիւն:[ts’e”tesutyun] Good bye (literally until we meet again)

(Ցը-տե-սու-թյուն) Good bye

Ցը [ts’e”]Abbr. form Bye (Colloquial)

իշեր [gisher] Night

Բարի գիշեր: Good night

ինչ [inch’] What

Անուն [anun] Name

Անունդ [anune”t Your name]

The «դ» at the end of a noun shows possessiveness.

The POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES in English are:

Singular Plural

My Our

Your Your

Her, his, its Their

In Armenian these adjectives can be attached to the noun or be stand alone ones which will be mentioned in future conversational topics

Անունդ ի՞նչ է: What is your name?]

Անունս Արամ է My name is Aram.

[anune”s aram e’]

Անունս Նունե է My name is Nuneh,

ի՞նչ է քո անունը What is your name.

Որտեղ[ortegh] Where

Ծնվել[tsnvel] to be borne

Ծնված[tse”nvats Past tense of to be borne

Որտե՞ղ ես ծնված: Where were you borne?

Ծնել [tse”nel] to give birth, to bear a child

Ծնած [tse”nats] Past tense of the above

In Western Armenian the word «ծնած» is used instead of «ծնված».

Obviously you cannot ask a male individual «Որտե՞ղ ես ծնած» which means “Where have you given birth?”.

Որտեղ ես ծնվե՞լ: Where were you borne?

Ծնվել եմ Իրանում: I was born in Iran

ծնվել եմ Ամերիկայում: I was born in America.

Some other examples are as follows:

Անգլիա-ում [anglia-um] In England (England)

երմանիա-ում [germania -um] In Germany

Իսպանիա-ում [ispania-um] In Spain

Իտալիա-ում [italia-um] In Italy

Լիբանան-ոմ [libanan-um] In Lebanon

Հունաստան-ում [hunastan-um] In Greece

Աուրիա-ում [suria-um] In Syria

Ֆրանսիա-ում [fransia-um] In France

End of lesson #4

• 1 month later...

Տէրունական Աղօթք

Lord's Prayer

With Transliteration

Հայր մեր

[hayr me'r]

Our Father

Հայր մեր որ յերկինս ես,

[hayr me'r vor he'rkins es]

Our Father, who art in heaven,

սուրբ եղիցի անուն Քո։

[soorb yeghits'i anun k'o]

hallowed be Thy name.

Եկեսցէ արքայութիւն Քո։

[yekests'e' arkayutyun k'o]

Thy kingdom come.

Եղիցի կամք Քո

[eghits'i kamk' k'o]

Thy will be done,

որպէս յերկինս և յերկրի։

[vorpe's he'rkins ev herkri]

on earth as it is in heaven.

Զհաց մեր հանապազորդ տուր մեզ այսօր

[e''z hats' mer hanapazord tur me’z aysor]

Give us this day our daily bread;

և թող մեզ զպարտիզ մեր,

[ev togh mez e''zpartiz mer]

Forgive us our trespasses,

որպէս և մեք թողումք մերոց պարտապանաց։

[vorpes ev mek toghumk' merots' partapanats']

as we forgive those who trespass against us;

և մի տանիր զմեզ ի փորձութիւն։

[ev mi tanir e''z mez i pordzutyun]

and lead us not into temptation,

այլ փրկեայ զմեզ ի չարէ։

[ayl prkya e''zmez i ch'are']

but deliver us from evil.

զի Քո է արքայություն և զորություն և փառք յավիտյանս յավիտենից [zi k'o e ark'ayutyun ev zorutyun ev par'k' havityans havite'nits']

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory is yours, forever and ever

Ամէն:

[ame'n]

Amen

TRANSLITERATION_SYMBOL_UNICODE.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson Five

Հինգերորդ դաս

[hing-e-rord das]

The Armenian Alphabet is as follows:

Ա,ա Բ,բ Գ,գ Դ,դ Ե,ե Զ,զ Է,է Ը,ը Թ,թ Ժ,ժ Ի,ի Լ,լ

[a] [g] [d] [e] [z] [e'] [e"] [t'] [zh] [ i ] [ l ]

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Խ,խ Ծ,ծ Կ,կ Հ,հ Ձ,ձ Ղ,ղ Ճ,ճ Մ,մ Յ,յ* Ն,ն Շ,շ Ո,ո

[kh] [ts] [k] [h] [dz] [gh] [ch] [m] [hi]* [n] [sh] [o]

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Չ,չ Պ,պ Ջ,ջ Ռ,ռ Ս,ս Վ,վ Տ,տ Ր,ր Ց,ց Ւ,ւ** Փ,փ Ք,Ք

[ch'] [p] [ j ] [r'] [v] [t] [r] [ts] [v]** [p' ] [k']

25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Օ,օ Ֆ,ֆ

[o'] [ f ]

37 38

**The letter «Ւ, ւ» in the new orthography is only used as part of the letter «ու».

The letter marked with asterisk (*), the «Յ, յ» in the new orthography is used only to form diphthongs as follows:

«յա», «յե», «յի», «յո», «ույ», «ոյ»

[ya] [ye] [yi] [yo] [uy] [oy]

In lesson #1 we learned the following

Vowels։ Ա, ա Ե, ե Է, է

Consonants: Լ,լ Մ,մ Ն,ն Շ,շ Ռ,ռ Ս,ս Վ,վ Ր,ր

Explosive Consonants Դ,դ Տ,տ Ծ,ծ

In lesson # 2:

Vowels Ու, ու

Consonants Դ,ղ

Explosive Consonant Գ, գ

In lesson #3:

Vowels Զ,զ Խ,պ

Diphthong ույ

Explosive Consonant Բ, բ Կ,կ Ձ,ձ Պ,պ

In lesson #4:

Vowels Ո, ո

Consonants Չ, չ

Explosive Consonant Ց, ց

In this lesson we will learn the names of the months, the seasons and numbers as well as wrap up the alphabet.

Ե-ղա-նակ [e-gha-nak]Season

Տա-րի [tari] Year

Տար-վա [tar-va] Season's

Ե-ղա-նակ-ներ [e-gha-nak-ner] Seasons

Ե-ղա-նակ-նե-րը [e-gha-nak-ne-re"] The seasons

The «ը» at the end of the word «եղանակները» is the defenite article in Armenian

The «ներ» is the suffix used to form plural from a polysyllabic word, in this case the word «եղանակ» which is more than one syllable (q.v. syllabification)

Տարվա ե-ղա-նակ-նե-րը The seasons

Գա-րուն [ga-run] Spring

Ա-մառ [a-mar'] Summer

Ա-շուն [a-shun] Autumn

Ձմեռ [dzmer'] Wnter

Ամիս [amis] Month

Ա-միս-ներ [a-mis-ner] Months

Տարվա ամիսները The months

Հուն-վար [hun-var] January

Փե-տըր-վար [p'e-te'r-var] February

Մարտ [mart] March

Ապրիլ [ap-ril] April

Մայիս [ma-yis] May

Հունիս [hu-nis] June

Հուլիս [hu-lis] July

Օգոստոս [o'-gos-tos] August

Սեպտեմբեր [sep-te'm-ber] September

Հոկտեմբեր [hok-tem-ber] October

Նոյեմբեր [no-yem-ber] November

Դեկտեմբեր [dek-tem-ber] December

Թիվ [tiv] Number

Թը-վեր [te"-ver] Numbers

«եր» is added to the end of monosyllabic words to form the plural form, however, in the case of «թիվ», the «ի» is dropped when the plural is formed.

Մեկ, երկու, երեք, չորս, հինգ, վեց, յոթը, ութ, ինը, տասը

mek yerku yerek ch'ors hing vets' yot'e" ut ine" tase"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

տասնմեկ տասներկու տասներեք տասնչորս տասնհինգ

տաս-նը-մեկ տաս-նը-երկու տաս-նը։-երեք տաս-նը-չորս տաս-նը-հինգ

tas-ne"-mek tas-ne"-erku tas-ne"-erek tas-ne"-ch'ors tas-ne"-hing

11 12 13 14 15

տասնվեց տասնյոթը տասնութ տասնինը քսան,

տաս-նը-վեց տաս-նը-յոթը տաս-նը-ութ տաս-նը-ինը քը-սան

tas-ne"-vets' tas-ne"-yot'e" tas-ne"- ut tas-ne"-ine" k'e"-san

16 17 18 19 20

N.B.

In Armenian when a consonant is pronounced and its sound kept in perpetuity, one hears the sound of the letter «ը» = [e"].

This is the definition of a consonant in Armenian and for that reason in the above numerals one sees that hidden [e"] when the compound numbers are syllabified.

The syllabified version of the number eleven in Armenian as shown above is «տաս-նը-մեկ» which is the same way the word is pronounced. This pattern will hold true for the rest of the numbers.

We will conclude the numbers with the above examples and save the rest for another lesson.

Another point to be emphasized is that the figure "8" or «ութ» unlike the figures 7, 8 and 9 does not end with the letter «ը», a common error encountered in conversational as well as written Armenian.

In this lesson (#5) we learned the following letters:

Vowels Օ, օ

Consonants Թ, թ Շ, շ Ռ, ռ Փ, փ

Here are some words using the above letters:

Օձ [odz] Snake

Օղ [ogh] Ring, earring

Օդ [ot] Air

Օ-դա-չու [odach'u] Pilot, aviator

Օ-դա-նավ [o-da-nav] Airplane

Օ-ղի [oghi] Hard liquor (Usually vodka)

Oգ-նել [o'g-nel] to help

Օգ-նու-թյուն [o'g-nu-tyun] Help