French

Guillaume Baraise

Benjamin Waldbaum

Christophe Thoreau

Georges Homsi

Benoit Maylin

Video (clips, shots of the day)

FFT Audiovisual department

Julien Deshayes (production, layout editing)

Denis Guillaume (encoding)

Toni Nadal: ''What more could you ask for?''

Sunday, June 5, 2005

Rafael Nadal's uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, was understandably euphoric after his protegé's historic victory. Former champion Andres Gomez and three-time winner Arantxa Sanchez also spoke enthusiastically about a great final.

Toni Nadal

I thought it would be tough but it was even harder than I imagined. Mariano Puerta was tough, he never gave up and he hit the ball well all afternoon. Better than Rafael even. We were lucky we got the upper hand. It's a huge win because it's Rafael's first Grand Slam title...What more could you ask for? We are counting our blessings!

Andres Gomez (winner in 1990)

It was a super final. A lot of attacking and counter attacking. They have similar games. Puerta gave it his best shot, he really went for it. I don't want to say he missed his chance but he played a poor shot at 5-4 in the 4th set when he could've drew level at 2 sets all. If he'd won the set anything could've happened in the fifth. But it's amazing to see how many balls Rafael got back from all over the court. Rafael had never played in Paris before and now he's champion. It's a great achievement. He is destined for great things. But people who follow tennis have known that since he was 13 or 14 years old. He's a great champion.

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (winner in 1989, 1994 and 1998)

It was a great final. In fact I was expecting it because they are both lefties and both play similar powerful heavily-angled tennis. Both of them played well today and it's just a pity one of them had to lose. In the end Nadal played some remarkable shots to make his dream come true. He came back from a sticky spot in the 4th set. He's a phenomenon, both physicqlly and mentally.

Translation: David Spratt (Sportstranslations)

Junior Girls: Szavay’s double

Sunday, June 5, 2005

Hungary's Agnes Szavay did the double this weekend at Roland Garros; following up her Junior Doubles triumph on Friday with a Junior Singles title on Saturday. Her singles crown came courtesy of a final victory over Romania's Raluca Olaru (6-2, 6-1 in 59 minutes). Szavay succeeds last year's winner, Bulgarian Sesil Karatantcheva, to become the first ever Hungarian to win a Junior title in Paris.

Sixteen year old Agnes Szavay is now looking forward to deploying her big serve and biting forehand on the WTA tour. "I'd like to start playing well on the circuit", said the Hungarian in the post-match press conference. This was Szavay's first Slam win after reaching the final in Melbourne in January. She had already beaten her opponent, Romanian Raluca Olaru, in the doubles final the day before with partner Victoria Azarenka.

It took Szavay a little under an hour to get her hands on the trophy this Saturday and become the first ever Hungarian Junior Girls' champion. Only one Hungarian had ever taken a Slam junior title previously, Aniko Kapros in 2000 at the Australian Open. "This win will be big news in Hungary. It's an important step for me on my way to achieving my goal of reaching the world's Top Ten one day".

Szavay already has one WTA win under her belt in 2005. She came through the qualifiers in Bogota back in February and beat Moroccan Bahia Mouhtassine in the first round 7-5, 6-3 before falling to Italian Flavia Pennetta. "I needed a big win like that. I still don't know what the future holds. I'm not sure if I'll play the juniors at Wimbledon and the US Open" says the new French champion. In the meantime she'll be celebrating her victory with her parents who arrived in Paris the day before the final.

Cilic wins Junior Boys’ title

Sunday, June 5, 2005

Marin Cilic became the first Croatian Junior Boys' champion at Roland Garros on Saturday, comfortably beating Dutchman Antal Van der Duim (6/3, 6/1) in the final.

Neither finalist was seeded in what was the first ever Netherlands versus Croatia encounter in a Junior Boys' final. Cilic, who hails from Zagreb, succeeds last year's winner Gaël Monfils from France to take his third junior title and his first Grand Slam crown.

Cilic becomes the first ever Croatian to take a Grand Slam Junior Boys' title. Like countrymen Goran Ivanisevic, Ivan Ljubicic and Mario Ancic, the youngster enjoys coming to the net. But his baseline game is solid too, and he boasts a sharp first serve and an impressive forehand.

Born on 28 September 1988, Cilic is coached by Andrej Tonejc. Well over six feet tall he also practices the high jump. His attacking game would appear made to measure for grass…a surface he has never played on.

And so to Wimbledon…

Runner up in the European Junior Championships at U14 level, this is Cilic's first year with the juniors. He lost in the quarters in Melbourne earlier in the year to the eventual winner American Donald Young. At 17, he hopes his future now lies on the pro tour where he already plays in Future or Challenger tournaments.

His opponent in the final, Antal Van der Duim, could only offer perfunctory resistance. The Dutchman's road to the final included two match points against him in his last sixteen game against Canadian Peter Polansky. For his part, Cilic beat two big names on his way to the final, number one seed from Britain, Andrew Murray (7-5, 6-1) in the semis and Ukranian Sergei Bubka (n°5), son of former pole vault great, in the quarters (7-6, 6-2).

"Before coming to Paris I never thought for a minute i could win. Then, as time went on, I started to believe in myself. It's another step on the road to turning pro" said the softly spoken young man. "My dream is to win Wimbledon, all Croatians want to win there since Goran Ivanisevic" he says.

So he won't spend too long celebrating his clay court success. London beckons, and a young man's dreams…

Mighty Suarez and Ruano Pascual reign supreme

Sunday, June 5, 2005

Top seeds Paola Suarez and Virginia Ruano Pascual came from behind to post their fourth women's doubles victory here on Sunday, adding an eighth Grand Slam title to their already very impressive resume.

Suarez and Ruano Pascual overcame a sluggish start to prevail 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 over No2 seeds Cara Black of Zimbabwe and South African Liezel Huber.

The Spanish and Argentine pairing, playing in their 13th Grand Slam final together, have reached the doubles final here in Paris for the last six years, winning in 2001, 2002 and 2004.

Suarez and Ruano Pascual hold the second-longest streak of consecutive major doubles finals reached - nine between Roland Garros 2003 and Roland Garros 2005. Only Martina Navratilova and partner Pam Shriver have fared better, appearing in eleven finals between Wimbledon 1983 and the Australian Open 1985.

Paola and Virginia first teamed up together for the 1995 Canadian Open but didn't play together regularly until the start of 1997.