An unknown Armenian monument in Italy ?

Hi all. Despite the fact that Art historians have neglected this matter, I

present you a famous Italian monument, dating back to the 11th century, with a lot of Armenian symbols in its façade: the Pomposa Abbey in NE Italy.

In fact, one can see, together various symbols connected to the numbers:

- 3 Katchars stuck on the wall

- the Tree of Life

- friezes in high relief depicting the Lion and the Eagle (Armenian symbols)

besides the Peaxxxx.

According to me, this Italian monument is strictly connected with the Holy

Cross church at Aghtamar in the Van lake:

http://www.lib.rpi.edu/dept/library...rmArch/Agh.html

The Aghtamar church was built only few years before the one of Pomposa.

With my best regards :hi:

--

Menotti Passarella

[email protected]

www.pomposa.info

Very interesting. It's a good thing to think of.

But the link is broken. It should be this: http://www.lib.rpi.edu/dept/library/html/ArmArch/Agh.html

• 2 months later...

Lets try to nip this in the bud before it grow into yet another Armenian myth.

There is nothing specifically Armenian about the relief carvings on this church.

The reliefs of the animals, such as the one below, are no different from the relief carvings you can find on countless other early Romanesque buildings in Europe.

31.GIF

The tree-of-life relief, depicted below, in that specific form is not like anything found in Armenia art. And the tree-of-life motif in general is found throughout the Christian world and beyond.

40a.GIF

The supposed "flowering base" of the cross below seems to be just a background pattern, and there is no stepped base to the cross like an Armenian khatchkar would have.

35.GIF

Some of the other reliefs, like this one below, are similar to carvings seen at places in Armenia like Ani - but there is nothing specifically Armenian about them, and they are probably just copied from textiles imported from the East.

28.GIF

It's wonderful to learn that lions and... sorry, what was the other one?.. ah, yes, eagles - are armenian in nature. certainly, lions roamed ancient armenia and perhaps only armenia, and eagles spread their mighty wings over its mountains, fields and forests giving shade to its cities and people.

Yes, the tree of life - very typical of armenia - of course; how could anyone possibly dream of associating trees and life? No, impossible! - only the genius of an ancient armenian could have conceived to penetrate in the heart things and see the connection. Poor, poor all the rest of the world - why could our ancestors not have been so perceptive, so artistic and imaginative?

Open your eyes, man - there is a world out there - not anything of worth is Armenian, not all Armenian is worth anything. :lol:

Hi all. Despite the fact that Art historians have neglected this matter, I

present you a famous Italian monument, dating back to the 11th century, with a lot of Armenian symbols in its façade: the Pomposa Abbey in NE Italy.

In fact, one can see, together various symbols connected to the numbers:

- 3 Katchars stuck on the wall

- the Tree of Life

- friezes in high relief depicting the Lion and the Eagle (Armenian symbols)

besides the Peaxxxx.

According to me, this Italian monument is strictly connected with the Holy

Cross church at Aghtamar in the Van lake:

http://www.lib.rpi.edu/dept/library...rmArch/Agh.html

The Aghtamar church was built only few years before the one of Pomposa.

With my best regards  :hi:

--

Menotti Passarella

[email protected]

www.pomposa.info

They are clearly NOT ARMENIAN. Ours are much more aesthetic!

As to Armenian myths - sympathetic Italian started this one.

The mongolo-semite's (Murad) knowledge about Armenian architecture and art is based on his ancestors historic experience on decomposing works of art and using the "material" for construction of life stock barns. Stealing, however (including of myths) is not implicitly tied to barbarian way of life. Their British patrons cultivated for centuries the same 'approach' to art - of course driven by moral and preservationists concerns.

I guess all of this has to do with "European" romance. Wasn't Ah Tamar 'myth' of romance invented a century before Shakespeare?

As to Armenian myths - sympathetic Italian started this one.

The mongolo-semite's (Murad) knowledge about Armenian architecture and art is based on his ancestors historic experience on decomposing works of art and using the "material" for construction of life stock barns. Stealing, however (including of myths) is not implicitly tied to barbarian way of life. Their British patrons cultivated for centuries the same 'approach' to art - of course driven by moral and preservationists concerns.

I guess all of this has to do with "European" romance. Wasn't Ah Tamar 'myth' of romance invented a century before Shakespeare?

Can someone say OWNED?

:up:

If you are seriously presenting a silly 19th century tale produced for children and ignorant peasants as equal to the works of Shakespeare, then I don't think much of the standard of your aesthetics! :no:

Edited by bell-the-cat

Shakespeare, as far as I remember was born and raised in the English Province. The reason why he became famous is because his compatriots trumpeted left and right that there is a Shakespeare...all the way to India. If popularity equals to greatness.... never mind.

There are other romantic tales (Armenian that is) from 5-6c.. At that time your compatriots were still on the trees.