Вардан или Васак.

Vardan Mamikonian or Mamikonyan, an unorthodox character, meets Dog Son of Dog in Journey to Virginland

Was Vardan Mamikonian worthy of his legend?

Vardan Mamikonian is celebrated by Armenians as one of the greatest military leaders of ancient Armenia. Vardan Mamikonian has also been elevated to sainthood by the Armenian church, due to the fact that he died defending the Christian faith at the Battle of Avarayr, waged in 451 against Armenia's Persian overlords. Thus the Battle of Avarayr, also known as Vartanants, is now a beloved Armenian holiday and an overarching symbol of Armenian freedom.

But was Vardan Mamikonian indeed worthy of his legend? And what would be an acceptable cost for liberty?

Today a growing number of scholars unaffected by nationalistic rhetoric present compelling evidence that Vardan Mamikonian was made to shine on the stage of history at the expense of another contemporary leader, Vasak Syuni, satrap of Armenia. These scholars point out that after being given an ultimatum by Persia to convert Armenia to Zoroastrianism, Armenia's leading princes were thrown into disarray. While many proposed to rise against Persia, Vasak Syuni pleaded for realpolitik and diplomacy, suggesting a bona fide Machiavellian plan to outwit the Persians into revoking their demand. Vardan Mamikonian himself fled to Byzantium but was brought back to Armenia by Vasak Syuni.

The ensuing developments, during which the vicious rivalries of Armenian power politics, combined with shortsightedness and ultranationalism, played themselves out to heinous effect, culminating in the utterly doomed Battle of Avarayr. Vardan Mamikonian was sung as a martyr. Vasak Syuni – a brilliant politician, an outstanding patron of the arts, and a genuine patriot – was tried, humiliated, and ultimately vilified as a traitor by a power-hungry junta. To this day, no Armenian dares name their child after Vasak.

Vardan Mamikonian is also the name of a character in Journey to Virginland, a novel by Armen Melikian, whose antihero is named Dog Son of Dog. In Melikian's phantasmagoric, bitingly sobering universe of ideas and their titanic clashes, a dead ringer mainly for present-day Armenia, Vardan Mamikonian is a personification of the machismo, puerile bravado, and gratuitous jingoism that continues to stem the growth of an otherwise magnificent culture.

"In the best sense, I'm reminded of George Orwell's classics, and other authors of similar stature, though there is no true parallel possible with a novel as unique in concept and execution as Journey to Virginland."Prof. Paul McCarthy

University of Ulster, Ireland

New York Times bestselling author

http://www.journeytovirginland.com/vardan-mamikonian.htm

Edited by Pandukht
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Может это гавно все же уберете отсюда?? Думаю такой оскорбителный пост не стоит данного форума...

Edited by Lion

Մայքլ Առլեն ավագի դափնիները հանգիստ չեն տալիս շատերին:

Փիլիսոփայական «բացասման բացասում» օրենքը նրանք հասկանում են որպես համընդհանուր ժխտման օրենք:

Ժխտել բոլորին և ամեն ինչ:Եվ ներկայացնել դա որպես ... քննադատություն: :(

Ո՞ւմ են ուզում սրանք ք**ել...

Edited by SAS
Может это гавно все же уберете отсюда?? Думаю такой оскорбителный пост не стоит данного форума...

Странные однако у Вас понятия о «форуме», уважаемый Lion. Кого конкретно оскорбил юзер под ником «Сукин Сын»? Только не говорите, что он задел Ваши религиозные чувства - это тут не пройдет, ни под какую статью.

Հարգելի Շան Որդի. պարտքս եմ համարում հայտնել ձեզ (քանի որ ենթադրում եմ, որ ռուսերենը ձեր խոսակցական լեզուներից մեկը չի), որ այստեղ բողոքներ են ներկայացվում ձեր «Վարդան vs. Վասակ» թեմայով կարծիքների հանդեպ, «վիրավորական» են համարում այդ կարծիքները և պահանջում, որ վերը նշված ձեր հաղորդումը հեռացվի ֆորումից։ Ի՞նչ կասեիք նման հայցերի կապակցությամբ։

Kars джан, пост оскорбляет одного из символов нашего народа, человека, с именем которого на устах наши солдаты шли в бой долгие столетия, человека, который воодушавлял нашых ребят в Арцахской войне. Пост написан явно в духе лже-арменоведческой школы США и имеет цели оторвать армян от своих истоков, дискридиторивав их национальных героев.

Թյու սենց հայերին :brows:

Edited by Kars
Հարգելի Շան Որդի. պարտքս եմ համարում հայտնել ձեզ (քանի որ ենթադրում եմ, որ ռուսերենը ձեր խոսակցական լեզուներից մեկը չի), որ այստեղ բողոքներ են ներկայացվում ձեր «Վարդան vs. Վասակ» թեմայով կարծիքների հանդեպ, «վիրավորական» են համարում այդ կարծիքները և պահանջում, որ վերը նշված ձեր հաղորդումը հեռացվի ֆորումից։ Ի՞նչ կասեիք նման հայցերի կապակցությամբ։

Hargeli Kars,

Mardkayin voghj' patmuthyan ^nthac'qum j"shmartuthyun^ viravorakan e' hamarvel medzamasnuthyan koghmits.

Shun Shan Vordi

KARS,

I have a feeling that there is a communication problem here. I think some of these people do not have a good knowledge of English (as I don't have almost no knowledge of Russian). It is possible that they are overreacting without even fully understanding what the earlier note says regarding my book. I think the moment they read something critical about their notions of history, they think it's the end of the world, without even bothering to clearly understand what's been said, let alone what the book says. The note simply says that there is a character in the novel whose name is Vardan Mamikonian. This Vardan Mamikonian, who personifies the machismo of present-day Armenians, picks up Dog Son of Dog from the Zvartnotz airport in his MBZ 600, tinted windows, when Dog arrives in Virginabad (Yerevan).

If you consider this offensive, you can consider anything else in the world offensive as well.

I advise them to read the book before commenting on it in such fashion.

The issue of Vardan and Vasak is not at all what the book is about. It has much more serious issues to deal with than this. There are good books on the Vardan and Vasak issue, and I may be able to suggest one by a Lebanese-Armenian historian. This issue is simply a subtext that comes forth within the larger issue of naming a given character in a given novel with a given name. This has certain connotations, of course. But I guess we have to impose censorship on fiction as well to excel the Turks in everything that we do...

They kicked me out of Armenia, now they want to silence me even in the diaspora. Moreover, they want to take from me even my right to imagine and dream. They are a bunch of sick people, full of hatred toward anything that they don't like. They need help and compassion. May be.

Shun Shan Vordi

http://www.JourneyToVirginland.com

KARS,

I have a feeling that there is a communication problem here. I think some of these people do not have a good knowledge of English (as I don't have almost no knowledge of Russian).

I'll answer to this, a bit later.

Kars джан, пост оскорбляет одного из символов нашего народа, человека, с именем которого на устах наши солдаты шли в бой долгие столетия, человека, который воодушавлял нашых ребят в Арцахской войне. Пост написан явно в духе лже-арменоведческой школы США и имеет цели оторвать армян от своих истоков, дискридиторивав их национальных героев.

Թյու սենց հայերին :brows:

Уважаемый Lion! Ваш ответ, к сожалению, очень субъективный. И выражение «Թյու» уже много говорит о Вас и о Вашем восприятии истории, как науки.

Вы считаете Вардана Мамиконяна «символом нашего народа». Не все согласны с этим. И эта дилемма, если Вы хоть чуть-чуть знакомы с армянской историографией, НЕ является новостью.

Физкультпривет,

Kars

если Вы хоть чуть-чуть знакомы с армянской историографией, НЕ является новостью.

чуть-чуть - ключевое слово. Но, не это важно. Поехали дальше.

Нет, что Вы, я даже "чуть-чуть" не знаком с армянской историей...

Форум Ваш - поступаете как знаете...

такое ощущение что американское армянство просто вырождается.всякие там ованисяны,сюни тому подтверждение.

А все просто - подекрепленные турецкими денгами, некоторые уроды буквально травят сознание народа, искажая армянскую историю.

А все просто - подекрепленные турецкими денгами, некоторые уроды буквально травят сознание народа, искажая армянскую историю.

как бы скоро западные армяне не начали брататся с турками и прощать им их грехи :D хотя турки и не каялись :lol3: ведь это так толерантно. :D и по европейский сажать чушек себе на шею.

как бы скоро западные армяне не начали брататся с турками и прощать им их грехи :D хотя турки и не каялись :lol3: ведь это так толерантно. :D и по европейский сажать чушек себе на шею.
Izvenite!ustanovili novuyu programmu i segodnyaa pishu latinitcey......

Dlya menya i Vardan i Vassak bolshiye VELICHINI moyey istorii/Tak je kak Kamo ili Shahumian.Skaju bolshe,Grant dink toje chast ih,tex kto predaval vo BLAGO chast tex kto zashishal vo blago

Izvenite!ustanovili novuyu programmu i segodnyaa pishu latinitcey......

Dlya menya i Vardan i Vassak bolshiye VELICHINI moyey istorii/Tak je kak Kamo ili Shahumian.Skaju bolshe,Grant dink toje chast ih,tex kto predaval vo BLAGO chast tex kto zashishal vo blago

васак предатель!возможно он предпринимал определенные дипломатические меры по облегчению участи армян в персии,но при правлении иездигерда эти меры были бесполезны,васак был так же неплохим марзпаном.но большинство армянских нахараров выступило на борьбу с персами,а клан Сюни в те времена являлся самым могущественным нахарарским кланом Армении,и если бы васак выступил бы на стороне Вардана то возможно аварайрская битва была бы выиграна.конечно в истории нет понятия "если бы",но поступки людей судятся именно по этой котегории.

Васак выступал против своего народа в войне и предпринял враждебные действия против него - предатель!

полностью согласен.он руководствовался только личными интересами и амбициями. :cool:

Васак выступал против своего народа в войне и предпринял враждебные действия против него - предатель!

Современная история, не чета - Истории древнего мира, и - Истории средних веков.

Каких-то 25 - 30 лет назад, был изгоем, врагом народа, сегодня - Герой, честь нации.

И смешно, и грешно.

Edited by Ararat3
полностью согласен.он руководствовался только личными интересами и амбициями. :cool:

Да не согласен был с Вардананк, пусть просто оташел бы в сторону - чего стоит одно только его участие в Аварайсрком сражении... на стороне персов :brows:

Да не согласен был с Вардананк, пусть просто оташел бы в сторону - чего стоит одно только его участие в Аварайсрком сражении... на стороне персов :brows:

жадность делает свое дело.армянский престол обещан, и на все готов. :cool:

Жадность и... глупость. Глупышь даже и не подумал, если армян сломают - на какой ... он тогда будет нужен, чтоб давать его престола...

Жадность и... глупость. Глупышь даже и не подумал, если армян сломают - на какой ... он тогда будет нужен, чтоб давать его престола...

из таких вот персонажей делать героев! :pardon: и переписывать историю :cool:

Нет, что Вы, я даже "чуть-чуть" не знаком с армянской историей...

Вот видите? Вы даже не понимаете разницу между «историографией» и «историей». Это тоже очень много говорит о Вас.

Но всё же, поехали дальше.