ancient1-pic3.jpg

ancient3-pic3.jpg

Vartan's last stand

ancient1-pic4.jpg

ancient2-pic4.jpg

ancient3-pic5.jpg

http://www.yerkir.am/eng/index.php?sub=new...mber=15&id=4738

'Vardanank' is being created

The Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasy, Animatrix are known to the Armenian viewers. Many have admired the scenes and episodes created by computer graphics, but few know that our fellow-Armenian director Roger Koupelian has greately contributed in creating them.

Below is an interview with Roger Koupelian.

Yerkir: Mr. Koupelian, you have worked with a number of recognized movies, including The Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasy, Animatrix. How did the creators of those movies offer to work with them and what was your involvement in them?

R. K.: Word of mouth is everything in this industry, and I was contacted by the companies themselves to go work on their projects after sending in samples of my own work. Producers I had worked with before recommended me to the companies their respective companies and I was soon flying over for a meeting. Both times I was already working somewhere else.

One project leads to another as one phase in this career leads to another. Ironically, my journey began with my coming to Karabakh to make a documentary in 1994, just before the end of the war. Making that documentary subsequently allowed me the courage to go after what I really wanted to do. Oddly enough, moving forward in this industry was even tougher, in some ways, than being on the front lines as a journalist. It can be very unforgiving, and being at the right place at the right time is crucial.

But like a good strategist, once luck delivers, your skill and work ethic must be ready to deliver too, otherwise that will be the last time you ever work. Having been a ‘war documentarian’, even in my limited capacity, had earned me respect among my peers. As a result, even my Lord of the Rings co workers sat and watched Dark Forest in the Mountains, one night during production, in Peter Jackson’s private theater. It is interesting to note that Peter is a war buff, and has a large antique weapon collection from both world wars.

Y: You have begun creating the "Vardanank." Please tell us about it.

R. K.: It actually is not just about Vardan as much as the two hundred year journey from Tiridates and his ally Mamgo, through conversion in 301, the eventual Gregorid- Mamikonian union, to the first Christian war of conscience in 451.

The Mamikonian rebellion shaped the Persian and Roman world for the next 1000 years but nothing occurs in a vacuum. Ironically, odar historians like Edward Gibbon (the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire) and the Dupuys (Encyclopedia of Military History) discuss Armenian military history at length, more than our own Armenian schools teach in the Diaspora. As a culture we are remarkably ill informed and apathetic about our own history. I thought it was amazing that Byzantines and Sassanians were overjoyed to have Armenian troops in their ranks, and that our culture, craft and art were in high demand.

I always thought that pulling strength from our collective past, a past that involves the struggle to be free against overwhelming odds, should be as much a part of our mindset as the struggle to see justice done for 1915. It was fascinating that even odars are amazed by our icons, yet we do so little to export our stories. Our myths are as valuable as concrete plans. You can build as many cafes as you want but if no one feels the need to show up and retrace the steps of ancestors, your seats will remain half full, and so will your villages.

Y: What are your plans in terms of Armenian themes?

R. K.: Well, I want to do my Armenian trilogy and move on to more universal themes. The Fugitive Prince project, as it is known now, is only a documentary proposal. We are also proposing a dramatic miniseries dealing more specifically with Vardanank as well. I wrote the screenplay for that and it take some liberties, obviously to be a bit more commercial for the general audience. A story is about the journey as much as it is about the end result.

And also, something that Armenians in Armenia are not quite as aware of as Armenians working in Hollywood, your basic American has no idea where Armenia is or that it even exists. Apart from Armenian criminals on television shows, they have no clue as to Karabakh, or Tigrannes the Great, or Manuscripts or Vardan or anything. Zero. Whose fault is that? People critique Atom Egoyan for his recent film but he’s done more to educate the world about us than anyone I know. So has System of a Down. Popular media speaks volumes. It is a lesson worth noting.

Y: Do you have any proposals for new movies?

R. K.: I don’t want to jinx a project by revealing too much but there are a number of ones I would like to do. Once Armenia’s filmmaking infrastructure is built up perhaps some of those projects can be partially filmed there. Only time will tell.

Снимается фильм 'Вардананк'

Фильмы “Властелин колец”, “Последняя фантазия”, “Аниматрикс” хорошо известны армянскому зрителю.

Многие из нас восхищались эпизодами и кадрами, созданными посредством компьютерной графики. Однако не все знают, что ее использование во многом стало возможно благодаря нашему соотечественнику, режиссеру Роджеру Купеляну. Ниже предлагаем его интервью еженедельнику “Еркир”.

- Г-н Купелян, Вы участвовали в создании многих известных фильмов - The Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasy, Animatrix и другие. Расскажите, пожалуйста, как Вы получили предложение работать над этими картинами?

- После того, как я отправил образцы своей работы этим компаниям, они предложили мне сотрудничество. Мои прежние продюсеры представили меня своим компаниям, и спустя некоторое время я поехал на встречу с ними.

Мой путь в кинематографе начался в 1994 году, когда накануне окончания карабахской войны я приехал в Карабах. Создание документального фильма воодушевило меня и заставило поставить перед собой более конкретные цели. Как это ни странно, но добиваться успеха в кинопромышленности в некотором смысле труднее, чем находиться на линии фронта в качестве журналиста.

Очень важно оказаться в нужное время в нужном месте. При этом надо всегда быть готовым к успеху, в противном случае это может стать твоим последним шансом. Благодаря тому, что я снял документальные фильмы о войне, я снискал уважение среди своих коллег. В результате те, кто работал со мной над фильмом “Властелин колец”, однажды вечером пошли в частный кинотеатр Питера Джексона смотреть фильм “Темный лес в горах”.

- Вы приступили к работе над экранизацией исторического романа “Вардананк». Расскажите об этом.

- Фильм не только о Вардане. Это почти 200-летнее путешествие во времени – от царя Трдата, который в 301 году принял христианство, до Вардана Мамиконяна и первой христианской войны 451-го года во имя веры. Поднятое Мамиконяном восстание привело к формированию персидского и римского мира на следующее тысячелетие.

Однако по иронии судьбы зарубежные историки, например Эдуард Гибон в своей книге “Падение римской империи” и Дупуйсы в “Энциклопедии военной истории”, рассказывают о военной истории Армении более содержательно, чем это предусмотрено учебной программой школ Диаспоры.

Свою историю мы знаем хуже, чем иностранцы. Поразительно, что византийцы и персы стремились набирать в свои войска армянских воинов, очень высоко ценились в мире и культура и ремесла Армении.

Я уверен, что очень важно не только добиваться признания Геноцида 1915 года, но и изучать свою историю, которую отличала борьба за свободу. Примечательно, что другие народы восхищаются нашими героями, между тем мы сами мало что делаем, чтобы представить миру свою историю.

- Есть ли у Вас творческие планы, связанные с армянской тематикой? - Хочу завершить армянскую трилогию, после чего приступить к более общим темам. “Принц-беглец” в том виде, в каком он известен, всего лишь предложение. Мы хотим создать драматический мини-сериал, который более подробно раскроет историю Вардананк.

Я написал сценарий, в котором позволил себе некоторые вольности, чтобы сделать эту тему более доступной широкому зрителю. Рядовые американцы не имеют представления не только о том, где находится Армения, но даже о ее существовании.

Кроме мелькающих в информационных телевыпусках лиц армян, совершивших то или иное преступление, американцы ничего не знают о Карабахе и Тигране Великом, древних рукописях и Вардане Мамиконяне. Атома Эгояна критикуют за его последний фильм, но в деле представления миру армян он сделал больше, чем любой из нас. То же самое можно сказать о группе System of a Down. Поп-искусство стоит многих томов.

- Есть ли у Вас новые творческие предложения?

- Не хочу много говорить о своих планах, чтобы не сглазить. Расскажу лишь о некоторых. Как только армянская кинопромышленность встанет на ноги, не исключено, что некоторые из этих фильмов будут частично сняты в Армении.

P.S. Более подробно с работами Роджера Купеляна можно ознакомиться на его интернет-сайте www.archfilm.net.

Ребят любую инфу про этот фильм - сюда!!!

http://imdb.com/name/nm0006863/ Послужной список Купеляна конечно же впечатляет. Ни один кинопоисковик не дал никакой инфы о фильме Вардананк. Пока что о таком проекте нигде не заявлено.

Интересно- кто снимает, где, какой бюджет и т.д.

Es nkarner@ urish teghits en, parzapes ira nkarnern en, kinoyi het kap chunen, inchu eq stegh drel?